Thursday, August 02, 2007

Requiem for a beer factory

Molson Edmonton closes.

I haven't worked there for a few years now, but I thought I'd pay it a tribute because it's the place where I got my first job. It's also the place that my dad used to work at when I was a kid. When he'd have to go in on Saturdays, I used to terrorize his office, eat cookies from a drawer in his file cabinet and dick around on his computer.

I loved working that job and was incredibly disappointed when they told me they weren't hiring a summer student for the lab anymore. But that kind of led me to where I am now, so I suppose you can file that one under "Stuff happens for a reason." Picture it like this: it was like growing up an Oilers fan, and then getting signed by the Oilers and playing a season for them. The next season, I got cut from the Oilers and signed with the Flames, where I've been ever since. This has been the key joke of my career working in the brewing industry thus far.

There were several key differences between the two companies. Molson's lab did a lot more leg work because everything was so damn far apart. The plant was pieced together in various additions over the last 100 years or so. When I got to Labatt, I was impressed at the layout of the plant, and the efficient European style of management and operation. It had its problems too, but compared to Molson, it was a well-oiled machine. The lab used more up to date technology and the union guys actually brought down samples for us. Molson's union was far more militant and I used to have to get everything myself.

So, to the Molson union, I say, well done, ladies and gentlemen, you killed the golden goose, over your new hires making $22 an hour. I make slightly more than that now, but after three years of temp work, I would have killed for $22. Maybe that's just me. I guess you guys needed those three extra sick days too.

No comments: