Friday, April 07, 2006

"Well, they finally did it. They killed my fucking car."

This quote, of course, comes from Jeffrey Lebowski as he watched his car be consumed by fire set by the nihilists.

After 11 months of satisfactory service, my 1988 Volkswagen Fox has finally bought the farm. This was a slow and agonizing process as ever since I acquired that car, stuff on it kept breaking. It had no e-brake, the windshield was cracked all to shit, it needed new struts, the handle on the passenger side door was broken off, the windshield wipers barely worked, the rear bumper was quite loose, it had no functioning speedometer or odometer, and the switch that adjusted the heating tended to come right out if you tried to move it. Cripes, the only thing on that car that wasn't potentially problematic was the battery which was brand new, and I even managed to completely drain it once. So when her transmission went on March 26, we decided that it was best to just let her go.

But not to worry. I've replaced the Fox with something almost identical: an '88 VW Jetta. And like the Fox, it also has its own problems, like the rear bumper that's become unclipped on one side, and a worn down front left tire because of the alignment. I've also just been informed that its starter is shot to shit so that's currently being fixed as well. It's probably also going to need a new timing belt real soon. But it only has 162,000 km on it, and for a Volkswagen that was built in the 80's, that's practically brand new. It's also got a CD player so I now have to throw out my Creedence tapes and get the CDs. It's probably a little better on gas than the Fox was since this one is a 5-speed, so that will come in handy if I'm living out in Stalbert and having to drive to Labatt's every morning.


4 comments:

Heather said...

Congrats on the new car.
Sad to hear about The Fox. She was a good lady.
Did you have a service for her?

A-List said...

Nice blog :)

Anonymous said...

Did you know that Volkswagen is bringing the Fox back in 2-3 years as a sub compact car (think 2 door chevy sprint) P.S. The Scirocco got it worse

Adam said...

Is the Scirocco completely written off or what? I wouldn't be at all surprised if the douchebag who hit you could find you another Scirocco for less than the deductible.

And I found out that I can't turn off the heat in the Jetta. When you flip the switch to cold, it just keeps blowing hot air. Should make for an interesting summer. Good thing I can put all four windows down, whereas in the Fox I could only put one down.