Thursday, August 10, 2006

"Awww...Damnit!" - Dave England

I went out to Lac La Biche over the long weekend to stay at Dre's cabin. The first night was good...we built a decent fire and had some beers. When I got up the next morning though I was chilly despite the fact it was about 22 degrees outside. I also didn't have much of an appetite. That was my first clue that something was wrong. We set to work digging a hole for an outhouse, and then I was feeling a little queasy and had to go inside for some peach drink. Well, after a couple of big chugs of peach drink, I had to run outside to barf. I took it easy for the rest of the afternoon. Then we had spaghetti for supper which I was not able to eat much of and then a few hours later, we built a big fire and had some more beers. I think I rushed the second Lucky Xtra because I ended up barfing again, so I was cut off. On Sunday, we went out on the boat, and (surprise!) when we got back on dry land I had to barf one more time. I then packed up and headed home with a one litre bottle of ginger ale as my companion. These queasy feelings subsided by Monday morning, but then every time I swallowed, it felt like I was swallowing glass, so I still couldn't eat or drink. And it hasn't gotten a lot better since then. I've discovered that I can drink as much milk as I want without feeling the intolerable pain, but it sucks not to be able to eat and drink what I want.

So I'm working the tailgate security at tomorrow's Eskimo game which I know I'm going to regret because 1) I hate the goddamn Riders and their fans worse than anything, 2) I hate the Schmos almost as much right now because they're a bunch of pieces of crap and 3) the Falcons open their preseason tomorrow against the Patriots and it's on TV. I was quite looking forward to seeing DJ Shockley, Klaus Alinen, Cedric Bonner, Cole Magner, Jason Randall, and others who have no business whatsoever playing in the regular season. I'm serious too. When one of the star players goes down in a game and his replacement trots in, it's better to have studied up on him and know what's going to happen instead of sitting there saying "Who the fuck...?"

No comments: