Monday, January 16, 2006

No Regrets (?)

It hasn't been a good evening. We lost our hockey game 9-4 and I'm pretty sure I'm being exposed as the fraud that I am. I'm no hockey player. Someone with only 11 hockey games to their name should not be playing Div.2 (although my +/- was even, not bad considering we lost by 5, but I digress.)

Then I got to thinking about how my poor choices in childhood still affect me to this day. If I had just been a normal kid like my brother and played hockey, I wouldn't be in this mess. Instead I sat around and coasted through life, not doing much out of the ordinary (I did play a pretty mean trumpet, but that's no good to me anymore...) and I didn't snap out of that until Grade 12, when I went and played high school football. There are moments such as these when I kick myself for not getting into sports sooner and learning the games a bit better. But then I relax, and remember to keep things in perspective. If I had been a hockey player in my teen years, or even if I had picked up two more years of football, there's a strong possibility that I wouldn't have committed to cadets to the extent that I did, so I wouldn't have earned my pilot's license. Much as I have come to love playing sports in these last few years, I wouldn't trade flying for anything. But that's not always as obvious to me as I just made it sound, and tonight was one of those cases.

We just have to remember that we can never truly have it all...there are trade-offs involved. Some people pick one thing they're good at and try to take that as far as they can, and others do many different things for the life experience, but with limited success. I guess I'm not so sure that a one-trick pony such as myself is suited for the latter.

No comments: