Thursday, September 15, 2005

NFL Week 2, CFL Week 13, and more

First off, recap of last weekend's games:

1. Eskimos played like shite, losing 16-11 to Calgary. Well, I'll give credit to the defence...rarely does it happen when a defence allows only 16 points and still loses the game in the CFL. So I guess the offence played like shite. Heather was not impressed at all that I threw my jersey down on the ground and wore it inside out in the second half, but I don't think she minded that I broke my "Stamps" hat. You need to understand that there are certain teams I can't put up with losing to. The Stampeders are one, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are another, and the Calgary Flames (which made '03-'04 a very long season...) I put the goat horns on the head of Ricky Ray for his 3 interceptions, Danny Maciocia for refusing to play Jason Maas (his logic his you have to lose a few more games before shifting your QBs around...) and R.D. Lancaster for retarded play calling.

2. Golden Bears game on Saturday was good...Bears beat the Dinos 34-20. Running game looked good even though Winks didn't take a lot of the carries. Monster Performer for this game was Matt Burrows for his 3 TD catches.

3. Falcons beat the Eagles on their Monday night home opener by a score of 14-10. It was a solid defensive effort by the Falcons. I am concerned with the lack of scoring in the second half, and the poor play of Keith Brooking but when you play the Eagles, it doesn't really matter how you win the game...they did go 13-3 last season, and two of those losses came at the end of the season with their starters benched. I mulled over giving DeAngelo Hall the Monster Performer...after all, he did allow T.O. to get 112 yards receiving. But T.O. was kept out of the endzone, and DeAngelo got an INT off McNabb, which is a rare thing (he threw 8 all of last year) so that sealed it for me. Honourable mentions to Warrick Dunn for his 117 yards on 21 carries (and yes, I'm aware that this would have been significantly less had Jeremiah Trotter not been thrown out...) and Patrick Kerney, for 4 tackles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble, and just being in McNabb's face all night. GO BIRDS!

Now, Week 2 NFL Predictions:

Balitmore at Tennessee: Have to wonder if losing Kyle Boller is too much of a bad thing. Baltimore is still good defensively, so the Ravens should win by a score of about 10-7.

Buffalo at Tampa Bay: I think the Bucs' win last week had a lot more to do with Minnesota being vastly overrated. Bills by 7.

Detroit at Chicago: While I'm still skeptical of Detroit's offence (Harrington completed 5 passes to his first round receivers last week), Chicago is brutal defensively. Lions by 21.

Jacksonville at Indianapolis: This should be a high scoring tilt, but Indy will win the shootout. Colts by 7.

Minnesota at Cincinnati: I know Minnesota's receivers can catch...Culpepper didn't throw to only Randy Moss all last season. Vikings by 4.

New England at Carolina: I'm already thinking of what I'm going to say to Panties fans when SI picks them to win the Super Bowl and they miss the playoffs. Patriots by 3.

Pittsburgh at Houston: Houston always screws me over when I don't pick them, but I'm still fairly confident the Steelers will win by 14.

San Francisco at Philadelphia: The Rams definitely have some problems...it's not about the 49ers being good. There's no way Philly goes 0-2 either. Eagles by 24, Lock of the Week.

Atlanta at Seattle: Atlanta always seems to have trouble playing in Seattle, and the last time they won there was 1997. When I was at Qwest Field in January, the Falcons were mopping the floor with the Seahawks on both sides of the ball until Vick left the game, and they went on to lose 28-26. The Hawks were lucky to win that one, as Jay Feely missed a field goal in the 3rd and Warrick Dunn came inches away from scoring the 2 point convert that would have tied it up at the end. Rushing offence and defence are the keys to this game, and I give a slight edge to the Falcons. I'm cautiously optimistic when I say Falcons by 3.

St. Louis at Arizona: They have 200 yards more than San Francisco, fewer turnovers, and they still manage to lose the game. Cardinals by 3.

Cleveland at Green Bay: Losing Javon Walker only hurts a team I thought was going to win only 6 games anyway. Still, I think this has to be one of them...Cleveland is pretty much the worst team in the league right now. Packers by 6.

Miami at N.Y. Jets: The Jets looked awful against K.C. and the Dolphins looked very good against Denver. Jets do not look like a playoff team at all. I'm going to say Jets by 7, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Fish won this one.

San Diego at Denver: Chargers blew it big time against Dallas on primetime. I doubt it will happen twice in a row, especially with Antonio Gates. Chargers by 14.

Kansas City at Oakland: K.C. beat up the Jets pretty bad...I guess we'll see if their defence can do it again. It really hinges on shutting down Randy Moss. Chiefs by 3.

NY Giants at New Orleans: Am I the only one who's sick of hearing about the Superhero Saints? Saints have hype and pretty much the entire U S of A behind them, but I still hate them. Hopefully, it will all die down when the Saints lose a game, but unfortunately, I think I'll have to put up with it for another week. Saints by 10, Pepto Bismol Upset of the Week.

Washington at Dallas: Redskins have what's-his-face at quarterback, and it appears I underestimated Dallas. I'm still skeptical of a team that has Bledsoe, (He was NFC Player of the Week, what's up with that!!) but I'll take the Cowboys by 6 anyway (and what a crappy Monday night game!)

Week 13 in the CFL:

Ottawa @ Winnipeg: Gross. Winnipeg will be playing like they have nothing to lose (which they don't at this point in the season) so I'm going to say Bombers by 7.

Calgary @ Hamilton: No Burris for Calgary, but they should win this game anyway, even if they have to run the ball 50 times. Stampeders by 3.

Montreal @ B.C.: You can't ever go wrong picking B.C., especially against the kind of defence Montreal throws out there every week. Lions by 17

Edmonton @ Saskatchewan: Eskimos will be angry after last week's debacle, and Saskatchewan doesn't have much of a passing offence. This all depends on the Smos ability to contain the run and play good special teams coverage. Smos by 17.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Indianapolis
Detroit
Minnesota
Philadelphia (Lock)
Buffalo
New England
Atlanta Vicks (Pepto)
Arizona
Miami
Green Bay
Denver
Kansas City

Heather said...

Ooops I forgot the Monday Nighter...

NY Giants
Dallas

Heather said...

Zowie I am 5 and 9 too!
Brutal.

I don't get it, why is Minny playing like shite?

The Panties didn't beat New England, New England Beat New England. They made so many mistakes, it is all coming apart at the seams. I have no idea who to pick for next week. Black is White.

Heather said...

ugh...I'm 6-10.
Ahhhh well, better luck next week. Was Colin the winner in Week 2 as well?