Saturday, May 13, 2006

What a week it has been...

Ever had a day where you just want to curl up and wish your life still followed some old boring routine from the past? It's been one of those days all week. If every week was like this one, I probably wouldn't live to see the end of the summer. Far too many things going on and too many goddamn extreme highs and lows. Let's recap:

Sunday:
Reffing football and birthday party for my brother. The entire family shows up at my house. It's also the Game 1 of the Oilers/Sharks series, which they lose by a score of 2-1. The Oilers played pretty crappily, I'm sorry to say.

Monday:
It's my first day at my new job all by myself. Things are pretty overwhelming on the first day and everything seems to take me forever. Time just flies by and before I know it, it's 2:30, meaning I've stayed half an hour later than I was supposed to. Before I leave, though, I check my grades on Beartracks like I'd been doing (obsessively) for the past week. They're all up and I have 2 B's, 1 C, and 2 D's. I declare to everyone in the lab that I've passed and will actually be graduating. I had made plans with Weeds to watch Game 2 at the E & C so I have some time to kill. I call Weeds but she's at a job interview and Mick wasn't around either. So I go to Southgate to pick up Mother's Day crap and then I go back to Weeds' place and we drimk 6 bottles of Pil each and then head over to the E & C. I don't remember much of the first period. I had chicken wings and a Bud, and then passed out in the first intermission from being so goddamned tired and wake up with 13 minutes left in the 2nd period. Real nice, eh? The Oilers go on to lose by a score of 2-1 again and I realize that it's getting pretty late, so Weeds let's me crash at her place. I pass out around 12:30 and wake up at 5:15 for work.

Tuesday:
Not a lot happens (the calm before the storm?) Miraculously, I make it through my work day without passing out and I head straight home for a nap before football practice. However, I nearly fall asleep at the wheel on my way there. Practice is held indoors tonight because the city closes all the fields after it rains. I'm not a big fan of indoor practice. After it's over, I drive home again and go straight to bed.

Wednesday:
Same old work day, and I'm killing time at the end of the day, visiting various websites. For some reason, I go back to Beartracks and click the "view my graduation status" link. It comes up as "Denied." I find myself at a loss for words, but I drive home anyway. When I get home, there is a message on my cell phone. It's from some advisor with the faculty of science named Kevin. He tells me that I'm too dumb to graduate, even with a general degree (not in those words obviously) and that I have to come back to complete a minor. I hang up and...well...to use a movie reference, it's kind of like in Sideways when Miles finds out his book isn't getting published. Anyway, I go to practice at 7:00 and that completely takes my mind off everything until it's over at 9 and I have to face stupid reality again. Game 3 is on when I get home but I'm too embarrassed to hang out with my dad and my brother so I miss the whole thing, including all three overtime periods. I learn the next morning that the Oilers won 3-2.

Thursday:
I drag my ass into work. My co-workers notice that I'm shuffling along, quietly doing my job and not really saying much, and when several people ask me to comment on last night's game, I give them all the same answer: "Didn't watch it." When asked why not, I just shrug. It's as though part of me has died. So I get through my day at work avoiding talking to people where possible and when it's over, I head over to the university. I drop by the faculty office and ask about the requirements for a history minor, and they say I need 4 more courses instead of 2 like I had originally thought, so this has just gone from bad to worse. After this, I go up to see the immunology and infection advisor. I tell her what's going on and she tells me that something like this hasn't happened before. I tell her that it's stupid to need a 2.3 GPA in your last year because I've passed all the classes needed for this fucking degree and now they're telling me the sum of all the parts does not equal the whole. She leafs through the calendar trying to find where it actually states that a 2.3 GPA is required to be in good standing in the program unsuccessfully. She then promises to ask somebody else, the associate dean maybe. I tell her that I'll talk to her later and then I go. There's practice again tonight and after that, the team goes to the bar for a beer as is the custom after a Thursday practice.

Friday:
The most boring day of work so far. I was actually fighting to stay awake after 9 AM. I e-mail the student ombudservice but the lady who works there is retarded and doesn't answer any of my questions. At the end of the day, I check my e-mail and my advisor has sent a message saying that my best option is to go into the general program and that I can fight the university about the calendar, but that she does not support this endeavour, sorry. I tell her that it's too bad she doesn't support it because NOBODY can find it in the damn calendar where a 2.3 GPA in the previous fall/winter constitutes good standing, but that it's okay because I don't need to spend 4 months and $2108.80 on anything better. It feels good to tell off a prof. I highly recommend it. Then I have to drive all the way out to the Park to pick up my Oiler tickets from Marc and then I go over to Weeds', we drink wine and then go to the game. The Sharks jump out to a 2-0 lead after their first two shots which kind of takes me out of the game and I'm almost falling asleep in my seat. However, after Horc scores, I'm wide awake (.blogspot.com) When Samsonite scores to tie it up, the place goes nuts and when Gator scores to tie it up, I thought the roof was going to blow off the place. I'm pretty sure that this one stands as the best Oilers game I've ever been to. After they finish winning 6-3, we go down Whyte Ave. to see all the crazies and maybe some breasts. We don't stay long and I head home shortly after.

Saturday:
I catch up on a lot of sleep and head out to the Stallions/Seahawks exhibition game. When I get there at 4:45, most of the team is already there. I pick out the jersey which bears the closest number to 44, and it turns out to be #46. Anyway, the game turns out much as I had predicted it would...We ended up kicking off to them a lot which means that I got to see a lot of time on special teams (I got one special teams tackle...it's always fun to hear the announcer say your name), but I didn't get much time on defence. For all the times I went in at corner, we went 2 and out, 3 and out, 2 and out, 1 and a turnover. So that was a good thing since we ended up winning the game 50-6. After that we went to Showgirls to celebrate and then I came home and started writing a blog post about my week.

Sorry this post is so long but I mainly just wrote it for myself. I'm looking forward to coming back and reading this a year from now and remembering all the crazy shit that's taken place this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

man your life is top complicated, you should sell everything you own and live on the road, being a mouching off people and travling is awsome. i havent worked or over a month and i love it. when you have nothing, you have nothing to lose. and freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose. i feel totally free i have no commitments or stress, well mabye a little bit about money but that comes and goes.

poeter