Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Movie #11

EDIT: Sorry about getting the order all messed up...it happened when I forgot to change the date when I drafted this post...

11. Sideways

Miles Raymond, a failed writer and divorcé who teaches junior high school English takes his best friend, former hot actor Jack, on a weeklong drive up to California's wine country. There they explore the nature of their failures and question their relationships. Jack, about to get married, has an affair with a woman and wonders whether he should call off his wedding. Miles questions whether or not he made the right choice while trying to form a relationship with the woman's best friend, a fellow oenophile who is a waitress at a restaurant that he frequents often when visiting that part of the country.

It’s got a great screenplay (based on the novel by Rex Pickett) and I think if I knew how to read, I'd put that one on my reading list. I’ve heard a few people don’t like this movie because the characters are really unlikeable…I didn’t find that to be the case…I actually felt sorry for Miles, but it occurred to me that whether you liked or disliked the characters wasn’t really important. What’s even more astonishing is how this film is actually successful in juxtaposing a human life with a bottle of wine. But remember that despite how complex wine seems, beer is infinitely more complicated to make than wine. Always remember that. ;)

Sideways was nominated for five Oscars and won Best Screenplay Adaptation. But I find it really astonishing that even this could not beat that piece of shit Million Dollar Baby movie for Best Picture. The Academy's Clint Eastwood hard-on is showing and hopefully, it's really embarrassing.

No comments: