Sunday, November 13, 2005

My Top 25 Movies of All Time

There are only 25 days until the end of classes for the fall semester. So what I'm going to do is make a post about one movie every day until we get to my #1 movie of all time, and the end of classes.

But before I get to that, I'll just say a quick word about my weekend in Strathmore. When we got in on Thursday night, Blobra and I went out to Boston Pizza with Blobra's dad Chucky and my dad. After a couple of beers, we went over to the liquor store and I got a bottle of $9.99 Cabernet Sauvignon and Blobra got a mickey of Southern Comfort and we drank at my house until 4 AM. Blobra passed out at my kitchen table. On Saturday, Blobra and I drove to Cochrane to see the Spartans in the Tier III State quarter-final and they lost 63-7. Spartans fans are all class, the way they scream at the refs, talk trash about the other team, yell at the refs, and even yell at the frickin announcer when he doesn't get a name right. Like I said, 100% class, every single one. On Sunday, I watched the second worst Falcons game I've ever seen (the 56-10 loss to KC last season was worse...I didn't even make it through 1 quarter of that thing...) and after the birds lost, I couldn't muster up the courage to watch the Smos vs. Stamps. I ended up listening to the 4th quarter on the radio and wow, what a comeback! It was a miracle the Smos won, but the Stamps turned the ball over 6 times and it's very hard to win when you're doing that. I had to laugh at the chumps on the post-game show. They started by saying "the Esks were completely outplayed and [were] dominated in all facets of the game." They then tore into Eskimo management for having exceeded the salary cap "every year by millions and millions" and called them the "Yankimos." They then cut into Ricky Ray and said that "he wasn't worth half a million a year but that's just chump change to the Eskimos." Of course, they failed to note the Stamps were reportedly around a million over this year. Funny how that slips, huh? And then they closed out the evening by calling the Eskimo fans "idiots" and then added that he was adopting the motto "Go Lions Go" for next week. I forgot how much I missed Calgary media for sheer entertainment value.

Anyway, that's enough about that, and here we go with movie #25.

25. A Few Good Men



You can’t handle the truth! I find it particularly funny that Tom Cruise busts his ass on screen for 2 hours and Jack Nicholson does a 20 minute bit and walks away with the picture. That’s what I call acting! For the longest time, I had no idea this was originally a play that premiered in 1989, and that it was written by Aaron Sorkin of West Wing fame.

In this courtroom thriller, Lt. Daniel Kaffee (Tom Cruise), a Navy lawyer who has never seen the inside of the courtroom, defends two stubborn Marines (Wolfgang Bodison and James Marshall) who have been accused of murdering a colleague. He (Cruise) is known as being lazy and had arranged for a plea bargain. Downey's (Marshall) Aunt Ginny appoints Cmdr. Galloway (Demi Moore) to represent him. Also on the legal staff is Lt. Sam Weinberg (Kevin Pollak). The defense is originally based upon the fact that PFC Santiago, the victim, was given a "CODE RED". Santiago was basically a screw-up. At Gitmo, screw-ups aren't tolerated. Especially by Col. Nathan Jessup (Jack Nicholson). In Cuba, Jessup and two senior officers (J.T. Walsh and Kiefer Sutherland) try to give all the help they can, but Kaffee knows something's fishy.

The film was nominated for four Oscars including Best Picture, but didn't win a thing.

No comments: