Thursday, November 24, 2005

Movie #14

14. Back to the Future

Michael J. Fox stars as Marty McFly, a typical American teenager of the Eighties accidently sent back to 1955 in a plutonium-powered DeLorean "time machine" invented by slightly mad scientist Christopher Lloyd. During his often hysterical, always amazing trip back in time, Marty must make certain his teenage parents-to-be, Crispin Glover and Lea Thompson, meet and fall in love -- so he can get back to the future.

Back to the Future is pretty much the movie that defined the 80's...a Delorean and a soundtrack by Huey Lewis and the News...how could you go wrong? I like it because it combines science fiction with drama so well that it can't really be considered one or the other. I also have a bit of a soft spot for movies that have alternate realities or raise "what if?" scenarios, like how all the small things Marty changes in the past affect future events. And for the science fiction types, there's an endless discussion about time travel that you can have after watching this movie (like if time travel were possible, how come we haven't been flooded by visitors from the future, huh??) Plus, I think we've all wondered at one point what our parents were like in high school, what their interests were, and why they've changed.

The funny thing is I used to HATE this movie when I was four...it used to serve as my babysitter when I was over at one of my friend's house and I saw it so much that I got sick of it (plus I was four and really didn't understand what the hell was going on anyway...)

Back to the Future was nominated for four Oscars and won for Best Sound Effects Editing (woohoo.) Does anyone find it funny that Huey Lewis picked up a nomination for Best Song for "The Power of Love?" I sure do.

No comments: