Monday, November 21, 2005

Movie #17

17: Rocky

Rocky Balboa is a struggling boxer trying to make the big time. Working in a meat factory in Philadelphia for a pittance, he also earns extra cash as a debt collector. When heavyweight champion Apollo Creed visits Philadelphia, his managers want to set up an exhibition match between Creed and a struggling boxer, touting the fight as a chance for a "nobody" to become a "somebody". The match is supposed to be easily won by Creed, but someone forgot to tell Rocky, who sees this as his only shot at the big time.

I like this movie because it isn't really about winning or losing...It's about determination, the unbreakable human spirit, and the willingness to "go the distance." Rocky explains to Adrian "Ah come on, Adrian, it's true. I was nobody. But that don't matter either, you know? 'Cause I was thinkin', it really don't matter if I lose this fight. It really don't matter if this guy opens my head, either. 'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood." Plus Rocky's got one of the greatest montages of all time (running up the museum stairs to "Gonna Fly Now.)

Rocky was nominated for ten Oscars and won three, including Best Picture.

And it better not be true what they're saying about a sixth movie...

No comments: